FAQ (Caledon Minor Hockey Association)

Frequently Asked Questions


What is the typical progression to Rep hockey?

Hockey School - Age 4/5 -  focus on Skating, agility, balance and control (not a "learn to skate" program) - starts in Oct
Mite Select - Age 6 - House League program with extra ice for Select team - starts in Oct
Tyke MD - Age 7 - Minor Development -  is an official organized league with other Tri-County centres - starts in Oct (very similar to Rep program)
Novice 'AA' - Age 8 - Representative - First official year of Rep program (starts in Sept)

Are there any costs beyond the basic registration fee?

With the exception of the very early ages (Initiation Program), all Representative (Rep), Minor Development (MD), and Rostered Select (RS) teams will incur some additional costs. These costs are variable based on each team and level of play. Additional costs are administered by the teams Coach/Manager, and include referee and timekeeper costs, tournaments, team apparel, additional ice time, team functions, and development. Teams are encouraged to do their own fundraising and soliciting of sponsorship to offset these additional costs. The Coach's Handbook is a great guide to all of the ins and outs of being on a Caledon Hawks Hockey team. Teams are permitted to charge an additional $1,500 to $2,250/player for Rep Teams.  Additional costs for House League (HL) are nominal.

What are the registration fees used for?


The largest single cost in running a minor hockey program is ice rentals. Ice rental generally represents about 80% of the total cost, with other costs including equipment (sweaters, socks, pucks, pylons), insurance, photos, trophies, and league fees. 

How often are games and practices?

Caledon offers great hockey value. The Rep hockey schedule generally begins with pre-season practices in mid-August. Rep regular season starts in Mid-September and continues until late March. MD, RS and HL teams begin in October and continue until the end of March.  Rep teams generally play a 28 game regular season schedule (14 home and 14 away games) + playoffs (Midget and Tyke typically begin around Thanksgiving).  Each Rep team receives a minimum of 1.5hrs of practice/week as part of their Rep team fees.  Most Rep teams add an additional 1 or 2 practices/week.  HL teams generally practice once per week in addition to the game schedule.  Tyke MD is the exception, which will play a 18 game season (Oct-Dec) with a 16 game playoff after Christmas.

What is the difference between HL, RS, MD and Rep, and is there travel involved?

HL - Offered to all age groups.  Caledon is large enough and has enough members to be able to field an internal league for Caledon residence.  Season is comprised of 1 game and 1 practice per week.  Typically on weekends.  No travel outside of Caledon required.  Caledon HL starts with the "Hockey School" program at 5 years of age.  

RS - Rostering a team is dependent on numbers and interest.  RS program starts at Mite (6 years old) and ends at Atom (10 years old).  RS is not an organized league.  It allows players to receive additional practice and game ice time at the discretion of the Coach.  The team is required to organize their own games with nearby centres and is permitted to enter 2 tournaments.  The RS schedule is not permitted to conflict with the HL schedule, since all players are still considered to be part of the HL program.  The RS program provides players with additional ice-time and is intended to provide development opportunities for those players/parents who may consider REP in the future.  Tryouts are typically held for the RS team in October as part of the HL team balancing effort.

MD - Rostering a team is dependent on numbers and interest.  The MD program starts at Minor PeeWee (age 11) and ends at Midget.  MD team seasons begin in October and end in March.  Team budgets and ice-time can be similiar to Rep.  MD teams are part of an organized league.  Travel is typically minimzed to other centres in the surrounding area.  Tryouts are held after the Rep teams have been selected in May.

Rep - 3 levels in Caledon - 'AA', 'A', and 'AE - Additional Entry'.  'AA' is the highest skill level.  Caledon is required to roster a AA Rep team at every age group and plays in the Tri-County league with teams like Brampton, Orangeville, Burlington, Oakville, Stoney Creek and Niagara Falls.  Depending on interest and skill level both or only one of the 'A' and/or 'AE' teams may be rostered at each age group.  Rep teams typically start practicing in mid-August.  Generally, the season runs from mid-September to December (28 games).  Playoffs start in January and end in March.  Teams can enter up to 5 tournaments.  Teams will generally practice 1-3 times/week. Team tryouts typically start in late April/May.


What amount of ice time will I get in a game?

All players in House League receive fair playing time regardless of their skill level.  At each level up, it increasingly becomes more at the Coach's discretion how much of each game, each player will play.  While game ice time will not always be equal it should always be fair and reasonable.  As this requires judgement, it is often a subject of debate. 

What is Rep Hockey?

Caledon Rep hockey is comprised of players who live within the following boundaries:

The boundaries of the CMHA shall be the area in the Municipality of the Town of Caledon as defined by the following: a) On the West side, the limit is the easterly boundary of Sir Winston Churchill Boulevard from Caledon/East Garafaxa Townline south to Mayfield Rd. On the South side, the limit is the north side of Mayfield Road from Winston Churchill Boulevard to Albion/Vaughan Road. The exception is in Mayfield West where the boundary is just south of the Valleywood subdivision. On the East side, the limit is the westerly limit of the Albion/Vaughan Road, Caledon/King Townline. On the North side, the limit is the southerly limit of Highway #9. At Highway #9 and Highway #10/Orangeville annexed lands are not included. On the West side of Highway #10, there are other annexed lands, but for the most part, the Caledon/East Garafaxa Townline on the south side is the limit.

Players living within these boundaries that are interested in playing Rep, MD or RS level hockey, must play in Caledon.  HL players can play in whatever jurisdiction they choose.  Players can only leave Caledon to play in another centre if they are capable of making a 'AAA' team.  This is permitted because Caledon is only considered a 'AA' centre and does not currently roster 'AAA' teams.  At Minor Peewee and above, if Caledon does not field an 'A' team, then players are permitted to tryout for a Nobleking 'A' team or the nearest centre that offers this level of hockey.

Non-Resident-Players (NRP) may be selected on to a Caledon Rep team under the following circumstances: 1) Their home centre does not roster that level of hockey, and 2) the Player is trying out for a team that is Minor Peewee and above.


What about tournaments?


Most teams enter one to three  tournaments during the year.  The timing and location of the tournament is decided by the Coach. Teams are permitted to enter Pre-Season, 2 Regular Season, 1 Christmas, and 1 Post Season Tournament.  No additional tournaments are permitted since it becomes too difficult to work team schedules around these additions.


My child is new to hockey.  What equipment is needed?

  • Undergarments (long/short sleeve shirt, underwear, socks to wear under the equipment)

  • Jock (athletic shorts with cup/jill), shin pads, hockey socks, hockey pants, chest/shoulder pads, elbow pads, helmet with face shield, gloves, neck guard, mouth guard,

  • Skates,  stick

  • Note:  for practices, you will need a spare jersey and hockey socks.  Game jerseys are not to be used for practices

  • In House League the association provides home/away jerseys and hockey socks.  At all other levels this is at the players cost.


Do we get to keep the game jerseys at the end of the season?

Rep players purchase their jerseys themselves, so they keep them.

I want to coach or help out on the bench.  What do I need to know?

Any community athletic association is kept going by volunteers, and the more the better. Any coaches, trainers, managers or on-ice volunteers will require some degree of certification (depending on age group), as well as a mandatory police check.


The coach selection process typically starts in December with an "Intent to Coach" request made to the VP Rep for the next season.
The successful Coach applicant selects the assistant coach, trainers, managers and bench staff.

Coaches are required to be OMHA certified.  Certifications vary depending on skill level and age of players being coached.  Visit the OMHA website for requirements and offerings.

Trainers also require certification through OMHA and need to complete an online Trainers course.

All other bench staff are required to complete the RIS Activity leaders course.



What is the ‘Respect in Hockey’ for parents?

Effective August 31, 2014, the ‘Respect in Hockey’ initiative will require all Team Officials, On-ice Volunteers, On-Ice Officials and Parents to take the appropriate ‘Respect’ education. 

At least one parent or guardian of each player registered in minor hockey in the OMHA will be required to complete the Respect in Sport - Parent Program as a condition of participation. The one-hour online course is a proactive, educational program that empowers parents with the tools to ensure the game is enjoyable and respectful for themselves, their children and all other stakeholders in the game. For additional information see: http://www.omha.net/page/show/885515-education

What other centres would we travel to for games during the season?

Caledon Rep teams play in the Tri-County League and play teams in Brampton, Orangeville, Milton, Burlington, Oakville, Stoney Creek, Niagara Falls and others.  


How much ice time can I expect?

Game Length:
The length of the game is mainly determined by the ice time available.  For example, the Bantam games may become 15/15/15 depending on the ice available.

Rep AA, A, AE
Tyke MD 10/10/10
Novice 10/10/15      
Atom 10/10/15      
Peewee 10/15/15
Bantam 10/15/15
Midget 15/15/flood/15

View AllOur Sponsors
Social Networking
Follow Us On
Follow Caledon Minor Hockey Association on Twitter
- and -
Visit Caledon Minor Hockey Association on Facebook
- and -
Follow Caledon Minor Hockey Association on Instagram
Quick Links
Manage Subscriptions
Signup to receive email or text messages for the teams you want to follow.
Printed from caledonminorhockey.ca on Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 4:00 PM